Tuesday, December 07, 2004

take me out to Thug Mansion

Miles Davis is floating out of the stereo speakers right now. Its been a long day....a rich day. I love hanging out at the guys house on 65th. I love driving to work in the morning through the city. I love the Accelerated School, and walking with my coffee across King St. and through the crowds of kids and families gathered in the courtyard eating breakfast , waiting for the bell to ring. I love being greeted by Maria, Moises, Adriana, Guillermo....the kids in my class as I walk up the stairs. I love going to the copy room to copy the week's homework, and having a conversation with the other classroom aides about college, food, justice, the kids in our classes, language.....

I learned today that the mother of a boy named Luis in my class is illiterate. This woman is in her late 40's and she cannot read in either Spanish or English. It made me think about the children at my other job, whose parents are professors at USC, or scientists at JPL.. What, then, is the meaning of education? What is God doing here? Why am I in both of these places? Think about the challenges that Luis will face in getting an education, in growing up well adjusted in a city that is not well adjusted.

there is a lot to consider

I was offered a job as a sunstitute teacher for the Alhambra Unified School District. I am not sure I will take it. It is an on-call position, and I would not really take advantage of it until next fall, it at all. I am also close to getting a part time job with the Pasadena Unified School District-- their after school program at Edison Elementary. I will have to decide whether I will really leave the Walden School

The more I work in places and with people who are rich, the more i see that injustice leaves both sides in bondage and brokenness.


No comments:

Post a Comment