Tuesday, December 14, 2004

peace in the Middle East

last night my brother John called me from Kuwait. He is doing well. He wishes it felt more like Christmas. I was glad to hear from him, especially since he sounded like he is doing ok, and things have been pretty chill-he has had work detail in an internet cafe.

I will go home in a few days. Home will not be the same without John, but I am hoping that I can get deeper in my relationships with my parents and especially my brother Joe, who is 14 and really thirsting for guidance and companionship and affirmation, especially from an older brother figure. Him and I have always been really close

Today at work, we began making report cards and preparing for parent conferences. THe school is also having a book fair, which brings back a lot of memories. I just felt really fulfilled and useful and happy at The Accelerated School today. I love it there.
Interestingly enough, things have also been much better at the Walden School. I dont know if things have changed that much externally, but I think my atitude has changed a little. I have tried to take initiative in relating to the kids on a more meaningful level. Before, I was hesitant, becasue they did not come off as warm or affectionate as most kids I am used to working with in urban and mostly black and latino schools. But the last week or so, it has becoem evident that I actually have gained some trust with them....

I havent seen the youth in our neighborhood that much recently. I miss them. I am looking forward to the Posada tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment