Friday, December 17, 2004

suficiente para la mente

i just came back from work, it took me a damn hour to drive back from South LA. The freeway was backed up so i took this random route through downtown and Lincoln Heights. I love driving through the city, but i wish it wasnt becasue traffic is caca and I am so exhausted from the day. It was a hectic but fun day. We had our end of the semester holiday party in Ms. Moore's class. Some more of the kids brought me gifts. We did a lot of decorating Christmas projects, and reading final drafts of published stories. It was cool to hear from the kids that they wil miss me for these next two weeks. I will miss them too.

Last night I had the chance to visit with David Dilworth, my homeboy from Pomona. He was out here in the 626, and we were able to catch up and speak into each others lives. It is always so encouraging when I can really share my spiritual life with the peoplw who knew me well through the thick of it. I am grateful to God that he has kept up our friendship and continued to make it a blessing to me. Thanks David, if you're reading this.

i realized i never blogged about the Posada the other night---- it was a really great time. Like Jason said, it was a curious amalgam of cultural things, but the kids really liked it, and had fun. I always love when all the youth and kids are together. It was cool having some of the newer kids from the Reading program there. It was a really fun and peaceful time....I felt like it was a good way to close the semester. When we sat in Larry's backyard on piles of straw and he talked about Jesus the humble king, it was such a warm and afirming time.....It was a reminder that there is something good to believe in, that God loves the youth in this city so much, and that he has been faithful to them and to me, that i can say that I have a home and a family here only a few months after leaving college. There was a lot of hope visible for me that night.

When all this Posada business started, it had immediately reminded me of New Mexico. I knew the word posada and I knew it was a deep and particular part of New Mexico culture. But I had never seen one. I had been feeling kind of ashamed whenever people would mention Posada, because I knew that i should have expereince with it, but i dont.---only from afar. In New Mexico, the Posada is an old tradition, much like the Mexican posada, except some of the songs might be different, and in New Mexico during the holidays the most distinctive thing you can see are the luminarias, or farolitos, which are paper bags filled with sand and a small candle.... they burn through the night with a warm deep yellow glow, marking the way for the Posada. If you go to Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Taos, everyone puts up luminarias, and it is a New Mexico tradition to take your family out to the Plaza in Old Town or the neighborhoods and just take in the sight. Ad to that the ristras of green chile, the posole, the adobe houses, tamales.......

in mere hours, i will be going home. I am so eager to rest....aaaahhh!! I have work to do, though. I need to make bible studies for the next term for NWN, I have to get my college loans deferred, I have to get my finances in order, finish off my findraising for Servant Partners, look for full time jobs for after the spring, hang out with friends and family.....

oh well...

i will also blog. It will be a good time to reflect on what God has been doign the last 5 months.



No comments:

Post a Comment