Saturday, January 14, 2006

i have had an increased desire these days to do art...
I feel more and more like i have a sense of which music, images, shapes, colors i want to convey my perspective on the world. I guess i am beginning to hone my ideas of what is beautiful to me.

I wish i could make a short movie. I know what locations i would have, what angles, what music, what lighting....
The only thing is, i am very dry when it comes to ideas for narrative and plot development. If i were to make a film right now, it would be more like a visual poem or a song than a story. it would convey impressions, perspectives---on the contradictions i see around me, the mixture of the beautiful and the ugly, the sublime and mundane. It would be very human, very close to bodies, sounds, breathing, habits, waking, sleeping....but it would hint at the reaching for something beyong human. The transcendence of singing, of intimacy and touch, of creation, language, work, and ultimately, of seeking God.

i dont know, just some ideas.

I need a camera

2 comments:

  1. Go for it. I've read some of your poems. You've got a gift. We need way more artists right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:54 PM

    see By Brakhage: An Anthology, which contains the pieces of the non-narrative filmic masterpiece, Dog Star Man by Stan Brakhage. also Fata Morgana and Lessons of Darkness by Werner Herzog. and Orpheus: Blood of a Poet by Jean Cocteau (far ahead of its time in 1930). If you get a chance, also, the film Ten Skies by James Benning. It's hardly shown, but maybe sometime in LA. This from the avant-garde. More mainstream, independently-made films that see in this way are All the Real Girls and George Washington by David Gordon Green, Tropical Malady by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, The World by Zhang Ke Jia, and 2046 by Wong Kar Wai.

    ReplyDelete